ARTSPACE EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
Open August 1, 2023 and closing December 31, 2023
Artspace is dedicated to presenting new work from contemporary artists working in a variety of disciplines, and strives to present art that reflects and promotes the diversity of contemporary art practices. Proposals from emerging, mid-career, and senior artists whose works are alternative, experimental and/or critically engaged are welcome. Additionally, the centre invites proposals from not only individual artists, but artist collectives as well as prospective guest curators.
In keeping with our commitments to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, we encourage proposals from artists and curators from groups that have been historically underrepresented in Artspace's programming, such as BIPOC, migrant, 2SLGBTQIA+, disabled and/or low income artists.
Artspace is seeking proposals for 2025 exhibitions programming in Galleries 1 and 2. In preparing your submission please consult Artspace’s floorplan. Please note, Artspace will also consider offsite projects relevant to the centre’s mandate.
Artspace provides curatorial support, installation assistance, insurance, promotion, and documentation of exhibitions, and when budgets allow, commissions critical essays to accompany selected projects. Artspace is committed to paying artists and copyright fees according to the guidelines established by CAR/FAC (Canadian Artists’ Representation/Les Fronts des Artistes Canadiens).
Please include the following:
- Proposal/Project Title
- Description (1 page max)
- Technical Requirements
- Artist/Curatorial Statement (250 words max)
- Artist/Curator Bio (250 words max)
- Current CV (3 pages max)
- Visual Support Material (Accepted file types: gif, jpg, png, mp3) Please label support material images numerically with the artist’s name (01_name.jpg, 02_name.jpg, etc.). Video documentation needs to be uploaded to a site such as Youtube or Vimeo, and linked in the application. Specify the desired clip for viewing (up to 5 minutes in length) by indicating the desired start time in your support material list. Similarly, limit audio clips to 5 minutes maximum.
- Documentation List (15 images max) For each item in your documentation list, please include the title, year created, medium, and dimensions.
- All proposals are required to be made using Artspace’s online submission system. Mailed submissions are not accepted.
- Due the volume of submissions, we are unable to provide detailed feedback on the proposals we receive.
Proposals are evaluated for vis-a-vis Artspace's mandate and programming focus, according to the following criteria:
- Artistic merit
- Clarity of ideas
- Contribution to the cultural diversity of Artspace's programming
If you have any questions regarding the proposal submission process, please contact:
Leslie Menagh, Artistic Director